Classic Macaroni Salad Recipe
Macaroni Salad is a creamy, cheesy pasta salad. Learn how to make classic vegetable macaroni salad in a few simple steps.
Ingredients For Salad:
- 400 gram elbow macaroni
- 1 Cup fine chopped red onion
- 1 Cup fine chopped red bell pepper
- 1 Cup fine chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 Cup fine chopped cucumber
- 1 Cup green peas, boiled or steamed (fresh or frozen)
- 1 Cup fine chopped capsicum
- ¼ Cup fine chopped parsley or basil
- Salt to taste
Ingredients For Dressing:
- 1 Cup plain mayonnaise
- 1 Cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar or wine vinegar
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or grated
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prep Work For Salad:
Cook macaroni according to package directions in the salted water. Once cooked al-dente, transfer to a strainer, rinse with cold water and set aside to cool down completely.
Chop all the vegetables, herbs and transfer to a salad mixing bowl.
Whisk mayo, cheese, garlic, oregano and vinegar in a bowl until combined nicely.
Add the olive oil and whisk the dressing once again to mix nicely. Taste and season with salt and pepper accordingly.
Combine vegetables, herbs and boiled pasta in a salad bowl. Toss gently.
Pour prepared dressing over the salad and toss gently to coat pasta with the dressing.
Taste and add more salt/pepper if required. Keep the salad in the fridge until ready to serve.
Serve vegetable macaroni salad chilled.
- The dressing should be of pouring consistency. Hence, if required add more olive oil to get the liquid consistency.
- Do not combine vegetables with warm macaroni. The vegetables will get steamed and lose their crunch.
- The salad dressing can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge for 2 - 3 days.
- Let the salad chill in the refrigerator for 1 - 2 hours before serving. Mix gently once again before serving.
Calories: 786kcal | Carbohydrates: 93g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 10g | Monounsaturated Fat: 15g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 814mg | Potassium: 631mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1983IU | Vitamin C: 155mg | Calcium: 342mg | Iron: 3mg