Healthy Oats Khichdi Recipe
Recipe Video Above. Oats Khichdi is an Indian style savory porridge packed with vegetables and yellow moong dal. Learn how to make a healthy vegetable khichdi in a few simple steps.
- 2 Cup whole oats
- 1 Cup yellow moong dal (dhuli moong)
- ½ Cup fine chopped onion
- ¼ Cup fine chopped tomato
- 1 Cup fine chopped spinach
- ¼ Cup fine chopped carrot
- 4 tablespoom ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon hing (asafoetida)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 6 cup water
Wash and soak the dal in 2 cups of water.
Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.
Add cumin seeds, asafoetida and let them splutter for a few seconds.
Next, add the chopped onion and saute for 2 - 3 minute over medium flame.
Add the soaked dal (not the water), tomato, carrot, spinach and stir to combine. Saute for 3 - 5 minutes.
Now, add the oast, spices, salt and 6 cups of water. Stir to mix.
Seal the pressure cooker with a lid. Cook khichdi over low heat for 2 - 3 whistles. Turn off the heat. Let the steam release naturally from the pressure cooker.
Serve Oats Khichdi warm with a dollop of ghee, raita, or chutney.
- You can use an instant pot or an electric pressure cooker as well to make this khichdi. Cooking time may vary as per the equipment.
- I have used whole oats to make this khichdi. You can use rolled oats, instant oats, or steel-cut oats for this khichdi recipe.
Calories: 357kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 35mg | Potassium: 293mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2298IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 4mg