Gajar Halwa Recipe (Carrot Halwa)
Gajar Halwa or carrot halwa is a gluten-free classic Indian dessert made with - grated carrots, khoya (evaporated milk), milk and sugar. This no ghee carrot halwa recipe is a family heirloom that requires only 10 minutes in an instant pot or pressure cooker.
Servings: 4 adults
- 500 gram carrot
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 100 gram Khoya/Mawa
- 2 tablespoon sliced dry fruits (for garnish)
Wash, peel and grate the carrots. While grating carrot use the bigger holes of the grater than the smaller ones to have long strands.
In a stovetop pressure cooker add grated carrots, water and sprinkle sugar on top do not mix. Close the lid and cook the carrots for one whistle over low heat. After one whistle, turn off the heat. And release the steam manually from the pressure cooker.
Heat a heavy-duty pan. Transfer the carrots to the pan along with milk. Keep flame on low. Start roasting the carrots till all the moisture is evaporated/absorbed by the carrots and the halwa starts leaving the sides of the pan.
Add cardamom powder and crumbled khoya. Mix nicely. Keep on cooking the halwa on low flame stirring frequently for the next 5 - 10 minutes or till khoya is nicely combined with the carrots. Turn off the heat.
Garnish carrot halwa with sliced pistachio and almonds. If you prefer, fry sliced dry fruits in a tablespoon of ghee for garnishing the halwa.
Serve Gajar Ka Halwa warm.
- Make sure to use big holes of the grater to grate carrots for the halwa.
- Avoid keeping grated carrots in a plastic bag or openly for a longer duration. Halwa might turn black.
- One whistle over low heat is enough to cook carrots and release their juices.
- While frying the halwa make sure the gas flame is always between low - medium temperature range.
- Continuously, stir the halwa while frying else it might not get evenly cooked.
- Do not add khoya (mawa) until carrots are completely dry or start sticking to the base of the pan.
Serving: 100Grams | Calories: 360kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 169mg | Potassium: 440mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 57g | Vitamin A: 21046IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 246mg | Iron: 1mg