I was not very much fascinated with the idea of using citrus fruits in salad until recently when I had interaction with one of the famous chef, who proved all my theories about citrus fruits making salad bitter, wrong. We together prepared Orange and Fennel Salad and it was full of flavours without any sign of bitterness, though of course, it will turn bitter if you leave it after adding dressing for hours. But that might be the case with any other salad/dressing as well, salad tastes best when consumed immediately after coated with dressing. This is one of the best Orange and Mixed Green Salad Recipe. So simple to make and big on flavours.
Back home finally my mini kitchen garden patio in the balcony is at its bloom best, with ceramic pots full of giant-sized basil, young red amaranth microgreens, parsley, lettuce and the dandelion, all of these herbs were well planned and planted by me only except dandelion, I have no idea from where the seed came and how it started flourishing quietly in one corner, first I confused it with arugula because it has a very similar resemblance but then after discussing with Nandita I got to know it’s dandelion. So with so many fresh greens in hand, I decided to celebrate my first harvest with a salad.
I have used combination of basil, lettuce, dandelion, and young amaranth but any variety of greens can be used like rocket, iceberg lettuce, pea shoots, baby spinach, and I have not used any imported variety of oranges for this salad, these are very much our local Nagpur Oranges, just make sure to remove all the seeds from orange slices and try to use sharp paring knife to slice oranges so that they are not too much squeezed up while slicing.
Orange and Mixed Green Salad Recipe
This is one of the best Orange and Mixed Green Salad Recipe. So simple to make and big on flavours. You must try this recipe.Print Pin Rate
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 large orange peeled and naveled
- ½ Cup onion sliced
- 1 red radish thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 english cucumber thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 to mato sliced
- 250 g mixed greens I used romaine lettuce, young amaranth greens, dandelion leaves
- ¼ Cup fresh basil leaves
Ingredients for the dressing
- ¼ Cup orange juice
- ¾ Cup olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Salt and black pepper as per taste
- ¼ Cup chives/spring onion greens chopped
- In a small container with a tight-fitting lid, combine the juice, oil, honey, mustard, salt, pepper and chives. Close the lid, and shake vigorously to blend.
- Torn greens into bite sized pieces and mix with sliced onion, radish, cucumber, tomato and basil leaves.
- Add the orange slices.
- Pour dressing over the salad and gently combine to coat the salad evenly with dressing.
- Serve Orange and Mixed Green Salad immediately.
love what you see? Follow @hinagujral on Pinterest!