Dum Ka Murgh is a slow-cooked chicken curry flavored with whole spices, cashew paste, and yogurt. The word Dum is an Urdu word for steaming, but commonly Dum is used to define the slow cooking method, where pot is tightly sealed with dough or tight-fitting lid to lock the aroma of spices within the pot and for the meat to absorb all the juicy flavors from the curry. This method was favorite of royal cooks across India and has been passed on from one generation of cooks to another since Mughal era or maybe before though in modern day kitchen it is not possible to cook curries for hours over the wood fire oven or slow cooker can be used for the same.
The reason to make this special curry was we made it to the Runner’s Up in the category of “Best Recipe Blog” at Food Blogger Association Awards, 2014, the good news came on 2 Nov 2014, first of it’s kind recognition I got for my work and I started jumping with joy all over the house, Momo gave me one amused look but he understood his looks not going to spoil my celebratory mood. Sometimes it feels great when your work receives formal appreciation; it acts as a boost to continue the journey ahead with new vitality, zeal, and passion.
After continuous rain in past few weeks there is sudden temperature drop in the city, which means drastic change in our food preferences, we have already started craving for soups, stews, Gajar ka Halwa and Khus ka Doodh and I am so glad bidding goodbye to rainy clouds which made our daily routine like soupy bowl of ramen noodles, all watery and slurpy.
Dum Ka Murgh (Slow Cooked Chicken in Cashew-nut Gravy)
Dum Ka Murgh is a gluten-free, slow-cooked chicken in cashew nut gravy. Learn how to make delicious dum murgh in few simple steps.Print Pin Rate
- 1 kg chicken skinned and with bones
- 2 large onion chopped
- ¼ Cup cashewnut paste
- ⅓ Cup yogurt whisked
- 2 tbsp fresh cream
- 4 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- Salt as per taste
- 4 tbsp ghee for cooking
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 – 3 green cardamom pods crushed
- 1 star anise
- 2 – 3 cloves
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- Clean, wash and dry chicken with a kitchen towel. Set aside.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add whole spices and saute until they begin releasing aroma.
- Add chopped onion and over low heat saute until onion turn brown in color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cashew paste, saute until oil separates from the masala.
- Add salt and, turmeric powder and chili powder. Saute for another 1 minute.
- Add chicken pieces along with whisked yogurt, garam masala and 2 Cup hot water. Mix nicely.
- Cover the saucepan with a tight fitting lid and reduce the flame to lowest. Let the chicken cook over low heat for 20 – 30 minutes or until it is done, do not open the lid in between. This could be done in the oven as well at 170-degree celsius for 1 hour.
- Once chicken is done open the lid stir in fresh cream and garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve Dum ka Murgh warm with Phulka.
Love this? Pin it for Later!Follow @hinagujral on Pinterest!