With summers approaching with scorching heat, we crave for some cooling desserts after meals maybe that’s why I’m making so many frozen treats lately. So here is yet another non-baking, freezer-friendly recipe which I came across one day while I was surfing some new recipes….I loved it so much that I tried it the same day and believe me it was really worth the effort and long making process. Coffee Granitas are another way to enjoy a slushy drink with a treat of whipped cream on the top, it can be the ultimate coffee cooler for the summer. It is so easy to make that even during summer holidays your kids can make for you and trust me people who love caffeine, like me, will definitely enjoy this dessert.
Coffee Granita Recipe
- 2 Cup espresso coffee or black coffee buy coffee maker
- 1/3 Cup castor sugar or to taste
- 2 tbsp coffee liquor
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
If using Instant Coffee Powder
- 4 tbsp instant coffee powder steeped in 2 Cup of hot water
- 1 Cup whipped cream
- Put a shallow baking dish or tin into the freezer to chill.
- Stir and dissolve the sugar into the coffee over a low heat. Set aside to cool down. Add the coffee liquor, vanilla into the coffee mixture. Taste and adjust the sugar accordingly.
- Pour the coffee mixture into the chilled dish and freeze for about 40 minutes or so. Cover the dish with the lid and keep in the freezer. Check to see if there are any ice crystals forming around the edge. If there is, gently bring them into the liquid centre using a fork. Place the granita back into the freezer
- Have another look again in about 30 minutes and repeat the same process as step 3. Keep doing this until the entire mixture is a mass of coffee crystals with no remaining liquid parts. Once this has been achieved, tip the granita into a plastic, lidded box and store in the freezer until needed.
- Before serving keep the bowls/glasses in the fridge for some time. To serve the granita, stir the frozen mixture with the fork to form coffee crystals.
- Serve the granita in pre-chilled glasses with the whipped cream on top.