If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Chicken – Do – Pyaza
For marinating chicken
- 1 kg chicken with bone
- 2 ½ tbsp ginger – garlic paste
- 2 Tbsp red chilli powder
- Salt as per taste
For the curry
- 1 large onions finely chopped
- 2 to mato blanched and pureed
- 2 1/2 tsp garlic and ginger paste
- ¼ cup curd
- 1 – 2 bay leaf
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp garam masala Read more
- ⅓ Cup sambhar onions or 1 large onion cut into chunks
- ½ Cup water or as per requirement
- 2 – 3 tbsp ghee clarified butter
- A fistful of coriander leaves chopped
- 2 green chilies slit in between
- Clean, wash and pat dry chicken. Marinate with ginger garlic paste, salt and red chilli powder. Rub the marinade nicely over chicken pieces and let it rest in fridge for minimum 3 – 4 hours.
- Heat desi ghee in a deep saucepan and add bay leaf. Keep the gas flame low to medium. Add garlic – ginger paste. When it turns brown, add chopped onions and cook over low flame till it turns golden brown. Now add tomato puree and salt.
- Keep on sauteing masala until oil gets separated from it.
- Take some yoghurt in a bowl, add turmeric and red chilli powder, whisk it nicely. Add this mixture to the masala and cook for another 5 – 10 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder, the marinated chicken, sambhar onion, water and garam masala.
- Mix nicely, cover the pan with a lid and let the chicken simmer over low heat until chicken is cooked through and the liquid is reduced a little bit. This takes around 15 minutes depending upon the chicken quality.
- Open the lid of open and check the chicken for doneness. Once chicken is done garnish with chopped coriander leaves and green chilies.
- Serve hot with rice or bread.