This coffee cake is made from WHOLE WHEAT. Sounds too good to be true, right? I had the same feeling when I first tried the Whole Wheat Coffee Cake Recipe. I was skeptical about the results. But trust me on this, ( and I know you will) the cake came out to be perfect! This coffee cake is the newest addition to my whole wheat recipe collection.
All our lives, we have baked cakes with the all-purpose flour, which eventually led us to believe that cakes can only be made with it. And breaking this age-old belief is what makes this whole wheat coffee cake recipe so special. Apart from being light on the stomach, this cake tastes sinfully delicious and is extremely simple to make. (Even for an amateur baker!) There are no fancy ingredients involved or a complicated recipe to reciprocate. Simple mixing of ingredients and you are all set to enjoy a fantastic cake.
The chocolaty flavor blended with a tint of coffee makes this whole wheat cake all-time favorite cake recipe. Have it with your evening tea or with a cup of morning coffee your taste buds (and your body) will not be disappointed. And I think you will fall in love with the earthy and the nutty flavor added to the cake by the whole wheat flour.
Why whole wheat flour? Because all-purpose flour is difficult to get flushed out of our system, contributes to obesity, the rise in blood sugar levels, increases bad cholesterol and need I say more? So I am on a mission to replace the white flour with good whole wheat flour on day-to-day recipes. A small effort towards checking the white flour intake can help mine and the family health in the long run.
Whole Wheat Flour Recipes You Must Try – Whole Wheat Pancakes, Whole Wheat Mocha Muffins, Whole Wheat White Sauce Pasta and Whole Wheat Onion Kulcha.
- 2 Cups of whole wheat flour atta
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 100 gram unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 Cup granulated white sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 2 tablespoon instant coffee powder steeped in 2 tablespoon of warm milk
- 150 ml buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure coffee extract
- 100 gram dark chocolate chopped
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Line the sides and base of a 7″ loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Sift flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt. Keep aside.
- Combine instant coffee powder in milk. Stir and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, followed by the coffee extract & steeped coffee.
- With hand blender on low speed add the flour and buttermilk alternately in three batches.
- Gently combine the batter using a spatula so that no lumps remain.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan. Add chopped chocolate chunks over the batter.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes till golden brown on top, and the tester comes out clean.
- Overturn the cake gently on a wire rack, and remove the lining. Turn it back.
- Let the cake cool for about few minutes.
- Serve Whole Wheat Coffee Cake with a dollop of fresh cream.