Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancake Recipe is always my brunch time favourite, served with variety fresh fruits, drizzle of organic honey, they are just divine. At home, I prefer using whole wheat flour for making pancakes rather than all purpose flour to keep it easy on digestive system. But if you are assuming that in whole wheat pancake taste must be compromised, than you must try Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancake Recipe. The pancakes are fluffy, soft and super delicious. While preparing the batter for the Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancake, I skip adding sugar and in turn smeared the pancake with tablespoon or so of organic honey once served.
I like my Pancakes thick, maybe because crepes are so not my thing. But if you prefer thinner pancakes then add little more milk to the batter. The batter for these Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes is on a lumpy side, so while folding ingredients together do not try too hard to smoothen out the lumps formed, else result will be flat and chewy pancakes. If you are in a mood to go for little calorie splurge than chocolate chips can be added to the same recipe to prepare Chocolate Chip Pancakes. Even the addition of fresh chopped berries is also a great idea to make these pancakes more delicious.
Here is the recipe of how to make Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancake
Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancake Recipe
Yields 5 - 6 Pancakes
Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancake Recipe is always my brunch time favourite, served with variety fresh fruits, drizzle of organic honey.
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp olive oil ( buy it here )
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
To make buttermilk
- 1 Cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 tsp white vinegar/lemon juice
To serve the pancake
- Organic honey
- Pistachio slivers
- To prepare the pancake, first prepare the buttermilk. In milk stir vinegar or lemon juice, let it sit at room temperature for 5 - 10 minutes. You will notice milk will cuddle. This is the buttermilk you require for the pancake.
- Meanwhile sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt in a mixing bowl.
- If you are adding sugar than mix the sugar with the flour mixture. Stir to combine.
- Whisk together in a separate bowl egg, buttermilk, olive oil and vanilla essence for 5 minute or till combined well.
- Now make well in the centre of the flour mixture, add the liquid ingredients and gently fold till all combined well. No streaks of flour should remain in the batter. Let the batter rest for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Heat non stick pancake pan ( buy it here ) over medium heat. Grease it with 1/4 tsp of olive oil. Pour a large spoonful of batter in the pan. If the batter is not spreading around, gently spread it with the back of the spoon.
- Cook on one side till air bubbles appear on top and edges turn brown. Flip the pancake and cook from the other side. Similarly cook the remaining pancakes.
- Serve the Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancake with a drizzle of honey and pistachio slivers.
- Equipment Used: Non-Stick Pancake Pan ( buy it here )
Fun FOOD and Frolic http://www.funfoodfrolic.com/