How to Make Perfect Veg Pizza at home?
- Kneading is the crucial step in the making of perfect pizza base. Knead the dough for 6 – 10 minutes before allowing it to rise.
- I prefer a dark, damp free space like inside the microwave or oven to rest the pizza dough. And these places have the right temperature to allow the perfect rising of the dough.
- You can always adjust the thickness of base as per your preference. It can be thick and pillowy or thin and crusty. Adjust the baking time accordingly.
- Tomato sauce is one of the important taste deciding factor in a homemade pizza. That is the reason I stick to homemade pizza/pasta sauce.
- Be generous while adding the cheese to your pizza. And stick to a good quality mozzarella/pizza cheese. This makes a hell lot of difference in the taste.
- Always bake your pizza on the middle rack of the oven. If baked on the top rack there is a high probability the top might get overcooked while leaving the base under-cooked.
- And, last but not the least, you can bake this veg pizza in the convection mode of a microwave oven.
Classic Veg Pizza RecipePrint This
For the pizza base:
- 2 Cup all-purpose-flour (maida)
- 2 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Cup lukewarm water
- 1 Cup Pizza/Pasta Sauce (see recipe here)
- 2 medium size onion sliced
- 3 – 4 baby corn cut into inch pieces
- 1/4 Cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon red chili sliced
- 1 large-size capsicum chopped
- 1/4 Cup black olives sliced
- 5 – 6 fresh basil leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs seasoning
- 1 Cup grated pizza cheese
To make the pizza base
- Combine flour and salt. Set aside.
- In the lukewarm water add yeast and sugar. Mix nicely. Let it sit for 5-10 mins until frothy. This means that the yeast is active.
- Make well in the center of the flour mixture. Pour in activated yeast. Cover it with flour and let it sit for another 5 minutes.
- Add the olive oil. Knead the dough by rolling it backward and forward, using your left hand to stretch the dough toward you and your right hand to push the dough away from you at the same time. Repeat this for 10 minutes, until you have a smooth, springy, soft dough.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let double in size for about 45 minutes.
- This could take 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on the weather. I usually place it inside the oven or microwave for proofing.
- Divide the dough into two equal halves and again allow to double in size for 30 minutes.
To assemble the pizza:
- Preheat oven to 200 degree Celsius.
- Grease a large baking tray with olive oil.
- Place the ball of dough and with fingers stretch it out by pressing, into 7-8″ diameter circle.
- Smear the generous amount of sauce over the base of your pizzas and spread it out to the edges.
- Top with grated cheese. Arrange the toppings of your choice over the layer of cheese.
- Drizzle with a tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Bake for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Check the pizza base for doneness. Scatter fresh basil leaves over the pizza. Sprinkle seasoning.
- Cut into wedges and drizzle a splash of olive oil.
- Serve Classic Veg Cheese Pizza warm.