Thai Chicken Cashew
With my last visit to Yauatcha
, I still have the Chinese food hangover and as it rightly said to get rid of any hangover you need to have another hangover, I made this Thai Style Chicken Cashew, which now me and “He” both are addicted to, we both love Thai food but this was a great change from mundane Thai curries, packed with punching flavors and so perfect for summer/monsoon lunch/dinner.
These days few professional assignments keep me away from kitchen and experimenting, but recently on a weekday last minute the photo shoot got cancelled and luckily “He” was at home that day, I wanted to prepare a special meal for us and it was time for me to try this new recipe, initially I was skeptical about the amount of sugar being used in the sauce but if you go through the recipe, you will notice there is quite a large amount of chilies used so the amount of sugar used is justified.
If you want to prepare a non-boozy version of this recipe, simply skip the glazing part, glazing pan with whiskey just helps to get that smoky flavor in the chicken, which simply finger licking good. I made this chicken with cilantro and lemon rice for the lunch but later realized this could be a great starter for the cocktail parties as well a side dish for a Chinese meal. I forgot to share this one quick secret, you can make the sauce in advance and store in fridge, I really love such recipes where part preparation can be done in advance as it saves lot of last minute hassle, also for the daily meals if the sauce if there in your pantry, you just need to slice chicken and vegetables and your super delicious meal is ready.
Thai Chicken Cashew
- 2 single chicken breasts
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 – 4 long, red Thai chilies, seeded and julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 small green onions
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp whiskey (or white wine), optional
- Oil for cooking
- Salt, as per taste
- 1/4 cup palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 dry red chilies, broken into halves
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 6 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 cup toasted, unsalted cashews
- Chopped coriander
- For the sauce, roughly chop the palm sugar. Combine it with the fish sauce, soy sauce, dry red chilies and oyster sauce. Bring to a gentle boil and mix until sugar is combined well with the sauces. Set aside until required.
- Clean wash and dry chicken, slice into 2 inch pieces. Set aside.
- To cook the chicken, heat a wok or large fry pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the oil and sauté the chicken until it is cooked half way through.
- Next, add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds. Add the onion, bell pepper, salt and sauté for another minute or so.
- Add the chilies and cook for another minute or so.
- Glaze the pan with whiskey and stir nicely. Once the liquids been reduced add sauce prepared above and green onions.Toss to coat.
- To finish, add the toasted cashew nuts and chopped coriander.
- Taste for seasoning and serve Thai Chicken Cashew with steamed rice.
Fun FOOD and Frolic http://www.funfoodfrolic.com/
Leave a Comment
Subscribe to our newsletter!!
Sign Up To Have New Recipes Delivered Straight To Your Inbox (For Free)!