Plum in the Chicken, yes you read it right it is Plum Chicken, full of flavors, sweet, sour, spicy, tangy actually with each bite of chicken all those spices with plum create a medley of flavors in your mouth. This sweet and savory plum chicken is finger licking good. The inspiration for this plum chicken comes from caramelized duck I tasted in Hong Kong, which is quite a popular dish in the menu of most of the restaurants. Sweet and savory plum chicken is one of the delicious stir-fry chicken recipes.
One day I was walking around Koramangala for a photo shoot luckily I bumped into a fruit vendor selling plums on his handcart so I bought a kilo or so. That time I had no recipe in mind so to preserve those plums I made a puree and kept in the fridge. Coincidently a few days later IFBM (Indian Food Blogger’s Meet), the first ever Blogger’s meet in India which is happening in Bangalore announced the Kitchen Aid Contest. The winner of the contest wins a Kitchen Aid Chopper and I could not resist missing any single opportunity to be the proud owner of Kitchen Aid gadget.
I love cooking challenges, they make you get out of your comfort zone, think out of the box and create something unique. If this Plum Recipe Challenge won’t be there I would have cooked simple Chinese Chicken without thinking much about giving it a twist but with some plum puree in hand and the pressure of submitting recipe before deadline compelled me to get creative and experiment, which luckily came out good and edible.
Sweet and Savory Plum Chicken Recipe
Plum Chicken is full of medley of flavors, sweet, sour, spicy and tangy.
- 500 g boneless chicken cut into small pieces
For the marinade
- ⅓ Cup plum puree see recipe here
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala see recipe here
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper cut into cubes
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- ⅓ Cup chicken stock
- 2 tsp light soya sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for cooking
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 – 3 tbsp chopped spring onion greens
- Clean, wash and dry chicken pieces.
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned under marinade like a spice rub and massage all over the chicken pieces. Keep the chicken in marinade for at least 6 hours or best overnight.
- Heat heavy bottomed pan and add cooking oil. Saute onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add sugar and saute for another 1 – 2 minutes. Glaze the pan with hot chicken stock and scrape out with spoon all the masala stuck in the pan, this helps creating great sauce for the chicken.
- Now add in sauces, salt, bell pepper and let the chicken simmer until done.
- To finish the chicken sprinkle some sesame seeds and chopped greens on top. Serve Plum Chicken hot with rice.