Paneer Kalimirch Recipe is a Punjabi dish found in the menu of most of the restaurant serving Indian Cuisine, also known as Safeed Paneer, Malai Paneer or Cream Paneer. but the soft and mouth melting curry with delicate flavors and subtle spices is always the same. Paneer Kalimirch Recipe is a great change from heavily spiced Paneer gravies with loads of onion, tomato and garlic, here aromatic spices add their own distinct flavors which combine with milk to form a flavor like none other, using ghee in the dish instead of oil can further enhance the flavor though making it a little high in calories.
Instead of the frying paneer it has been grilled in the pan and then tossed in mild flavored gravy. Pepper lends a pungent but not harsh touch of spiciness to the dish, making it seem quite different from the usual. This recipe adds great variety to the vegetarian dinner menu for the parties as well. Punjabi Kalimirch Paneer is a delicacy and savored by all connoisseurs of Indian food, I make sure this dish is in the menu if I am inviting my friends who are scared of heat of Indian spices and this recipe wins me praise every-time I make it!!!
Paneer Kalimirch Recipe
Paneer Kalimirch Recipe is a Punjabi dish found in the menu of most of the restaurant serving Indian Cuisine, also known as Safeed Paneer, Malai Paneer or Cream Paneer.
- 250 gram paneer
- 1/4 cup fresh cream
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp whole black pepper pounded coarsely
- salt to taste
- oil for cooking
Ingredients to be ground into a smooth paste
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup cashew nuts
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch piece of ginger peeled and chopped
Ingredients for the garnish
- 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- a pinch of black pepper
- To prepare Paneer Kalimirch, we will first make a paste of the onion, cashew nut, garlic and ginger using a mixer. Transfer the paste to a bowl and keep aside until required.
- Cut paneer into equal size square pieces. Now heat one tablespoon of oil in the griddle pan over medium heat. Arrange paneer pieces over the griddle pan and grill until charred marks appear on one side.
- Brush the upper side of paneer pieces with oil and turn them upside down. Grill paneer until charred marks appear on both sides. This takes about 5 minutes on each side. Turn off the heat. Arrange paneer pieces in a plate and keep aside.
- To prepare the gravy, heat two tablespoons oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion paste made above and fry the paste stirring continuously. Once the oil gets separated from the masala add cream and milk. Stir to combine.
- Add the salt, turmeric powder, garam masala, stir and let the gravy simmer for sometime. Adjust the consistency of gravy using little water. After adding water simmer the gravy for some time for the flavors to develop.
- Now add crushed pepper and grilled paneer to the gravy. Stir to combine. Now cook gravy for 3 - 4 minutes more over medium heat. Turn off the heat. Transfer Paneer Kalimirch to a serving bowl.
- For garnish, heat oil in a small pan over medium heat. Once the oil is heated add chopped garlic. Fry garlic until it turns golden. With a spoon pour fried garlic and oil over the Paneer Kalimirch. Sprinkle a pinch of black pepper on top.
- Serve the Paneer Kalimirch along with Roti/Paratha.