Muradabadi Moong Ki Dal Recipe (Yellow Moong Dal with Spices)
Moradabad is a popular city of Uttar Pradesh (aka UP) and very much close to my hometown or maybe I should frame it that way nearest big city. Moradabad is famous for its export quality brass work, wood work and one more thing Muradabadi Dal. This Muradabadi Moong Ki Dal is so popular in the entire region that during evening time you can see loads of street side vendors selling it and on each street cart, there is a bunch of dal loving mob snacking on it.
At my place, in every wedding, Moradabad Dal has to be on the menu and there are special cooks who come from Moradabad to cook this delicacy. I don’t know why my mother made it at home and at every wedding we all use to relish Muradabadi Dal. When I say it has to be on the wedding menu I mean to say on the starters menu, not main course, yes it is enjoyed as a starter, appetizer or snack. Whatever you like to call it but I have never seen this dal as part o the main course. At certain places, this dal is even enjoyed as a hearty breakfast with tandoor baked bread.
Recently I visited Agra for a wedding and there it was on the menu, all those fond memories of UP style wedding surfaced in my mind. My husband who has spent few years of schooling in Moradabad snacking on this dal asked me to recreate the recipe once we are back to Bangalore. I never inherited this recipe from my mother so I had no idea what goes in there so I spoke to my MIL and couple of friends from Moradabad who shared the recipe with me.
Muradabadi Moong Ki Dal Recipe
- 1 Cup yellow moong dal
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- Salt, as per taste
- ¼ tsp of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 green chili, seeded and chopped
- A thumb size piece of ginger, julienned
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp chaat masala
- 2 – 3 lemon wedges
- A fistful of coriander leaves, chopped
- 20g butter, cut into small cubes
- ⅓ Cup cubes of paneer
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Wash & soak the dal for at least 30 minutes.
- Boil dal with 4 cups of water along with salt, asafoetida, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder and tamarind pulp.
- Once dal is cooked mash it nicely.
- Remove the dal from the fire, ladle the dal into the serving bowls.
- In the pan heat ghee, once ghee is hot add cumin seeds. When seeds start crackling switch off the flame and add a spoonful of tadka on each bowl of dal.
- Sprinkle a pinch of cumin, red chili powder, chaat masala along with a spoonful of chopped onion, tomato, paneer, ginger slices and green chili.
- To finish of garnish, sprinkle chopped coriander, a small cube of butter and squeeze juice of a lemon on top.
- Serve Muradabadi Moong Ki Dal warm.
Fun FOOD and Frolic http://www.funfoodfrolic.com/
Leave a Comment
Subscribe to our newsletter!!
Sign Up To Have New Recipes Delivered Straight To Your Inbox (For Free)!