Desi Health Bites – Methi Brown Rice Pulao
Methi Brown Rice Pulao
is an ideal combination of delicate flavors packed with nutritional benefits. Fresh fenugreek leaves sautéed with brown basmati rice and then cooked till aroma of the cooking rice fills up the kitchen with an inviting aroma. The pulao has a pungent hint of fenugreek, earthy aroma of spices and sour taste of curd, with each spoonful of pulao a medley of rare sapor is created in the palate. The hot steaming Handi full of Methi Brown Rice Pulao is accompanied by a chilled bowl of onion and tomato raita to balance the heat quotient on the table.
The similar Methi Pulao I tasted in one of the food festivals at Cubbon Pavilion, ITC Gardenia
. The taste of that pulao fascinated the food lover in me so much that I could not resist myself from asking the chef of the evening Master Chef Kunwar Rani Kulsum Begum for the recipe. The Begum Sahiba very generously and graciously accepted my request to share the whereabouts of the pulao. But as she started narrating the method to cook the pulao as usual I had no diary to note it down, very sheepishly I pulled out one old receipt of dry cleaner from my bag and scribbled her instructions on the back side of the receipt in barley legible handwriting. And once the dinner get over that piece of paper got back into the dungeon inside my bag and sat there for many months until recently when Fortune Rice Bran Oil launched the campaign to create some delicious desi health bites recipes. Somehow I managed to dig out this particular piece of paper from the trash inside my handbag, sadly with time the ink got faded making half of the words hardly visible. With some long lost vague memory of the pulao along with few faded words written on the paper managed to put the pieces of the recipe puzzle together.
Here is the Methi Brown Rice Pulao Recipe made using Fortune Rice Bran Oil, rice bran oil is considered to improve the blood cholesterol, skin-tone and stimulated hormonal secretion. Rice Bran oil is not some newly discovered oil; it has been around for hundreds of years in the Far East. It is in fact extensively used all over the world and is popularly known as “heart oil” in Japan and “health oil” in Western countries.
Methi Brown Rice Pulao
Methi Brown Rice Pulao is an ideal combination of delicate flavors packed with nutritional benefits.
- 2 bunch fenugreek leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 Cup brown basmati rice
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger – garlic paste
- 5 – 6 mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 green chilies, sliced
- ⅓ Cup curd, whisked
- Salt, as per taste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 star anise
- 2 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 tsp Garam Masala (see recipe here)
- 5 – 6 cashew, sliced
- 4 tbsp Fortune Rice Bran Oil
- To make methi brown rice pulao, first clean and wash brown rice in water. Soak rice in enough water for 15 minutes. Keep aside until required.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan heat Fortune Rice Bran oil over medium heat. Add sliced cashews and fry until light golden on both sides. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan add star anise and crushed cardamom pods, fry till you can smell aroma of whole spices. Now add sliced onion, fry over low heat till onion turn golden in color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 5 minutes over low heat. Then add chopped mint leaves, green chili and fenugreek leaves. Stir and saute over low heat for 5 minutes, till fenugreek leaves softened.
- Now add soaked brown rice and saute for few minutes till rice grain turn translucent. Add spices, whisked curd and saute for 2 – 3 minutes. Fill saucepan with enough water to cook rice. In my case I used 2 Cups of water but amount of water depends upon the variety of rice you are using. Brown Rice takes little longer to cook than usual rice and is little bit chewy in texture.
- Once water is added let rice cook over low heat till all the water has evaporated. Cover the pan with tight fitting lid and let rice cook in steam for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes turn off the heat and let rice sit in the saucepan for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the lid and fluff the rice with spoon. Mix fried cashew slices in the cooked pulao.
- Serve Methi Brown Rice Pulao hot with curd or raita.
Fun FOOD and Frolic http://www.funfoodfrolic.com/
|This blogpost is in association with Fortune Foods as a part of their Desi Health Bites activity– The Hunt for the Best Rice Bran Oil Recipes. For more updates and healthy recipes using Fortune Rice Bran Health Oil, follow Fortune Foods on Facebook at and on Twitter at @fortunefoods.
Leave a Comment
Subscribe to our newsletter!!
Sign Up To Have New Recipes Delivered Straight To Your Inbox (For Free)!