This year it seems summer is at its full bloom in Bangalore, pleasant breeze also is not able to calm down the scorching sun. But among few good things about summer one is Mango, the true summer delight, I guess for any food lover it is hard to resist the temptation of this tropical fruit. I am surprised all these years I was confined only to very limited use of Mango which are – mango pickle, mango shake or aam panna but in the month of April when for CaLDRON magazine I tried and tested different recipes of mango and I found that mango can be used in so many versatile ways rather than just confining it to desserts.
The natural sweetness and tanginess of a mango is bliss, no added flavors are required if the mango is used in any curry or salad. Mango and Red Pepper Salsa is the medley of colors and flavors, in this hot weather it is an eye and palate soother. The bursting colors of this salsa is very much like the current colorful diagram shown in most of the TV channels of 16th Lok Sabha Election results, somewhere map is orange, in some corners saffron or green.
Mango and Red Pepper Salsa
Mango and Red Pepper Salsa is the medley of colors and flavors, in this hot weather it is an eye and palate soother.
- 2 firm ripe mangoes, stone and skin removed, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, diced
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 – 4 spring onion greens, chopped
- A fistful of parsley, chopped
- 1 tbs lime juice
- Salt and crushed pepper as per taste
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Place the mango, capsicum, onion and spring onion greens in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together the lime juice, oil, salt, parsley, salt and pepper in another small bowl to prepare the dressing.
- Add the dressing to the salsa and gently toss to combine.
- Set the salsa aside for few minutes before serving to develop the flavours.
- Serve Mango and Red Pepper Salsa chilled.
- After mixing dressing to the salsa I always keep it for 20 - 30 minutes aside or in the fridge, the reason is more mature flavors and once it is served chilled it gives that cooling effect with each spoonful.
Fun FOOD and Frolic http://www.funfoodfrolic.com/