Makhane Ki Phirni Recipe (Lotus Seeds Milk Pudding)
Makhane Ki Phirni Recipe (Lotus Seeds Milk Pudding) is my version of two dishes Makhana Kheer and Rice Phirni, this recipe is a fusion of both the classic dishes and it tastes divine. Makhane Ki Phirni is must have item in my menu during Navratri because many people do not eat rice while fasting and this recipe is the best option when it comes to desert. I think Makhana or lotus seed is one of the underrated ingredients in our country. I am sure Makhane Ki Phirni Recipe will definitely make you give second thought about the goodness of humble lotus seeds.
I don’t know what is new generation’s take on Dussehra but as a kid I use to adore this festival because in the evening me and all my cousins use to get dressed up in new clothes and at sharp 7.00 clock in the evening we all along with the whole family visit Ram Lila ground to see how huge effigies of Ravan, his brother Kumbhakarna and son Meghanad are burnt to ashes and the firework in the sky afterwards. Then we all use to buy Bow and arrow, mace and swords made of kids friendly material.
In some places even today Dussehra is celebrated with same grandeur and enthusiasm like the good old days and Mysore is one of them. I have not seen the famous Mysore Dasera festival because every time we think of visiting Mysore during Dussehra we get scared of traffic, crowd and the heat, thanks to metro lifestyle that has inculcated zero tolerance in each one of us. But yea on the day of Dussehra whole Mysore Palace is decorated like bride and royal procession is held on the streets with huge idol of Goddess Chamundeshwari followed by decorated elephants and various tribal groups performing.
Here is the recipe of how to make Makhane Ki Phirni:
Makhane Ki Phirni Recipe
Makhane Ki Phirni Recipe (Lotus Seeds Milk Pudding) is my version of two dishes Makhana Kheer and Rice Phirni
- 1 Liter Full Cream Milk
- 1-Cup Makhana (Lotus Seeds)
- 1-Cup Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted Pistachios
- 1 Tsp. Saffron Strands
- 2 Tbsp Almonds
- 5 – 6 Green Cardamom
- 2 Tbsp Cashew nut
- 1 Mace (Javitri)
- 1 Tsp. Grated Nutmeg Powder
- Organic Rose Petals
- Mix Dry Fruits (Raisins, Almonds, Cashew, Pistachio)
- In a pan heat ghee and roast Makahne for 5 minutes. Pulse in blender once to make coarse powder. Keep Aside
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned for flavoring and slightly crush with rolling pin.
- Keep aside in a bowl.
- Take milk in a heavy bottomed pan, add the flavoring mixture, sugar and boil on low flame for 10 minutes. Keep on stirring in between.
- Add crushed makahne and let the milk simmer on low flame for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 10 minutes, switch off the gas and let the phirni cool down.
- Divide Phirni equally in serving bowls and on top garnish with rose petals and spoonful of mix dry fruits.
- Cover each serving bowl with cling film and keep in fridge for 2 – 3 hours.
- Serve Makhane Ki Phirni chilled or warm.
Fun FOOD and Frolic http://www.funfoodfrolic.com/
Leave a Comment
Subscribe to our newsletter!!
Sign Up To Have New Recipes Delivered Straight To Your Inbox (For Free)!