Keema Matar Recipe (Mutton Mince with Peas)
Keema Matar Recipe is the spicy, bold mutton mince curry embellished with fresh green peas. Keema Matar is undoubtedly one of our favorite mutton curries from the days when I could not even spell the word keema. The morsel of soft and pillowy Mughlai breads dipped in piquant curry burst with flavors in the mouth. There is a kind of unsolicited comfort in each bite of Keema Matar. The long wait at the butcher’s shop for the fine cut mutton mince is all worth it. It took me a while to cook, click and share the recipe on the blog. Couple of times I tried recreating my mother’s Keema Matar Recipe but that striking flavors were missing from the curry. Like many other recipes it also made to the wish-list – ‘how to get it right’.
When we packed our bags to complete the long awaited personal project ‘connect with roots’ the wish-list of ‘how to get it right’ recipes also came all the way long with us. The day was Sunday, ingredients were arranged and recipe already sorted, all I have to do is recreate Keema Matar under the expertise guidance of mother-in-law. There is a kind of precision and patience required while make curries like Keema Matar. You have to wait for the right time to add salt, bright color of roasted onion gives you the signal of doneness, succulent juices of the meat brighten up the curry, these were the secret mantras which were missing from our earlier attempts to make Keema Matar. In amidst of hoopla of urban living and in a rush to master the dish without understanding the basics working behind the scene, I could have never learned the right way to cook Keema Matar.
Here is the recipe of how to make delicious Keema Matar:
Keema Matar Recipe
Keema Matar Recipe is the spicy, bold mutton mince curry embellished with fresh green peas.
- 1 kilogram mutton mince
- 4 medium size onion, fine chopped
- 2 green chili, fine chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 large size tomato, fine chopped
- 1 Cup green peas
- Salt to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp garam masala ( see recipe here )
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- To prepare the Keema Matar, clean, rinse and pat dry the mutton mince.
- In a pressure cooker ( buy it here ) heat oil over medium heat. Add bay leaf and once aroma of bay leaf is released add the chopped onion and green chili.
- Fry over medium heat till onion turn dark brown in color.
- Add ginger garlic paste along with a tablespoon or two of water. Fry till the raw aroma of paste is gone and the paste turns brown in color.
- Now add mutton mince in the pressure cooker and fry for 10 - 15 minutes over medium heat. The color of mince will start changing to pale brown.
- Add salt, turmeric, red chili powder, stir to combine and fry for next few seconds.
- Add 4 Cups of water or just enough to cook the mutton mince. Cook over medium heat for 2 - 3 whistles. Let the steam release naturally from the pressure cooker.
- Open the lid and add chopped tomato along with garam masala. Stir to combine.
- Transfer Keema Matar to a heavy bottom saucepan or casserole ( buy it here ). Simmer, covered with the lid over low-medium heat, stirring occasionally in between.
- When mutton mince is about to cook add fresh peas and stir to combine. After adding peas let Keema simmer for few more minutes. Taste for doneness. Turn off the heat
- Garnish Keema Matar with chopped coriander leaves. Serve Keema Matar warm with Naan ( see recipe here ).
- Equipment Used: Pressure Cooker ( buy it here ), Casserole ( buy it here )
Fun FOOD and Frolic http://www.funfoodfrolic.com/
Leave a Comment
Subscribe to our newsletter!!
Sign Up To Have New Recipes Delivered Straight To Your Inbox (For Free)!