As a food lover for me, monsoon means a lot of spicy and comfort food, hot drinks and tons of finger food which I avoid during summer, reason my lost appetite in summer, which is now back with a bang. When I say hot drinks I mean I want all my drinks including cocktails to be served at room temperature, a glass of hot drink in one hand and my favorite fiction novel on another is my idea of spending a perfect rainy evening.
When Urban Dazzle came up with this contest at Indian Food Bloggers Meet (IFBM 2014) to create a cocktail/mocktail recipe with an Indian flavor, for few seconds I drop the idea of creating any such recipe but then I started thinking about all my favorite drinks, which reminded me of Hot Apple Toddy – my evergreen remedy for bad throat, runny nose or just a gloomy day, trust me when I say it has fixed all of them. I have given it a desi twist with our very own Homemade Garam masala, what could be more Indian than a touch of Garam Masala and like an old wine it tastes much better now.
- 500ml apple juice
- ¼ Cup good quality rum
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp Garam Masala (see recipe here)
- A thumb size ginger piece, cleaned and sliced
- 2 – 3 orange wedges with skin
- Juice of half lemon
- Star Anise
- orange slices
- In a saucepan simmer apple juice along with Garam Masala, orange and ginger slices over low heat for 5 – 10 minutes, until the aroma of spices, orange and ginger is well incorporated into the juice.
- In a jar add honey, rum, lemon juice and hot apple juice. Give it a nice stir once not for too long, just to mix all ingredients together.
- Strain and pour in the serving glasses and garnish with star anise and lime slices. Serve hot.