Meet our midweek snacking favorite – Crispy Lotus Stem Stir Fry. On the table in approximately 30 minutes and taste absolutely delicious. What else you need during a busy weekday to pamper the taste buds. I won’t say this lotus stem stir-fry is healthy but it is definitely better than any Chinese takeout you are planning for the weekday dinner. Load it with your favorite vegetables/greens and you are all set for the crunchy stir-fry meal.
Is it essential to deep-fry the lotus stem for this recipe? Absolutely not!
You can bake them in the oven as well dressed in a little bit of olive oil. Bake at 180 degrees C until the lotus stem turns crisp and crunchy. Or if you have the luxury of an air-fryer nothing like it. Air fry the lotus stem slices to get the right texture. And then, of course, we can rate lotus stem stir fry as a healthy meal choice.
Bright and colorful, this Crispy Lotus Stem Stir Fry is absolutely simple to make. I have already made it twice in this week. And still not getting over it.
One more secret I want to share with you about this quick lotus stem stir fry. You can make it saucier. How? Once you deep-fry the lotus stem do not discard the leftover cornstarch mixture in the bowl. Add approximately 1/3 cup of water to it and make a smooth paste. Pour this liquid into the stir fry after adding the sauces and stir to combine. Allow it to simmer before adding the lotus stem. You will get a thick, saucy liquid to enjoy with the crispy lotus stem stir fry.
Hope you know that one can make delicious Indian curry with the lotus stem? If interested, check out this Lotus Stem Curry Recipe that is totally gluten free and vegan too!
For more such fun recipes in your life, follow along on Facebook, Instagram, or subscribe to our Youtube Channel.
- 2 medium-size tender lotus stem kamal kakdi
- 1 spring onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 capsicum diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1 small red chilli chopped
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon red chilli sauce
- Oil for deep-frying
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon cornflour cornstarch
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onion greens
- 1 tablespoon crushed peanuts
- Peep and slice the lotus stem into thin slices.
- Soak the lotus stem slices in water with little bit of salt for 5 minutes.
- This step ensures that all the mud and dirt is removed from the lotus stem.
- Drain the water and spread the lotus stem slices on a kitchen towel.
- Allow them to dry. If required pat dry with another kitchen towel.
- In a bowl combine lotus stem slices, corn starch, salt and pepper. Mix nicely.
- Heat oil in a frying pan to deep fry the lotus stem slices.
- Deep-fry the lotus stem slices in small batches until they turn crisp from both the sides.
- Transfer to a plate/colander and set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a wok/frying - pan.
- Add ginger, garlic and red chilli. Stir fry for less than a minutes.
- Add sliced onion and again cook for few seconds or till onion turn soft.
- Add the bell pepper and capsicum. Stir fry them for a minute.
- Now add the vinegar, sauces, salt and pepper. Combine nicely.
- Next add the fried lotus stem slices. Mix nicely to coat lotus stem with the sauces.Turn off the heat.
- Serve Crispy Lotus Stem Stir Fry garnished with spring onion greens and crushed peanuts.
Recommended Equipment: Chinese Wok ( buy it here )