Crispy Honey Chilli Chicken is actually been in our dinner rotation for years, the heat of red chilies and sweet punch of honey is a match made for weekend leisure dinner, tons of flavor from just a few basic ingredients. Throw together a quick salad while the chicken cooks, pour in chilled beer into those tall glasses and gorgeous dinner is literally on the table in few minutes. Even though it has the word spicy, it’s pretty mild and not burning hot inedible spicy. If a number of red chilies going in still the matter of worry then cut down a number of red chilies to half. Marinating chicken beforehand is an integral part of the recipe, to make the aroma of garlic and hotness of chilies penetrate through the layers of chicken pieces marination is the only solution.
These days in midst of hard pressed weekdays somehow the hope of quite and relaxed weekends keeps me motivated throughout. With some new projects taking shape and the work arena expanding beyond the four walls of the house, most of the days are lost in the toil between home and new found workspace, in such busy circus thinking about food is beyond imagination despite working around the substances of food all day long. The unattended ingredients sitting in the pantry and dull weekday menu need the house lady’s immediate attention on her spare moments (which are rare these days in my case) so the menu on such days has to be exciting enough to brighten up the mood of the dinner table. Chinese stir fried chicken accompanied by humble fried rice dotted with carrots and beans accompanied by uncomplicated green salad and to complete the frame a glass of cold refreshing beverage on the side is an old school trick to transform monotonous meals into the most exciting ones. Here is the recipe of one of those weekend meals…
Crispy Honey Chili Chicken
Crispy Honey laced chicken is actually been in our dinner rotation for years, the heat of red chilies and sweet punch of honey is match made for weekend leisure dinner.
For Chicken Marinade
- 250 g boneless chicken pieces
- Salt as per taste
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 4 fresh red chilies
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 medium size onion cut into cubes
- 3 – 4 Garlic Cloves finely chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger finely chopped
- 1 medium size capsicum cut into cubes
- 2 ½ tsp Tomato Ketchup
- 2 tsp Soya Sauce
- 2 tsp red chili vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 Cup cornflour
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for deep frying
- To marinade chicken first clean, wash and pat dry chicken pieces. Keep aside.
- In blender make smooth paste of garlic, red chili using 2 tbsp of water.
- Mix all the ingredients of marinade in a bowl including garlic chili paste. Add chicken pieces, rub marinade over the chicken pieces to coat each piece evenly with the marinade. Cover bowl with a cling foil and keep in fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile chop vegetables for the stir fry.
- After 1 hour take out the chicken from fridge. In two bowls arrange beaten egg and cornflour next to each other.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Dip chicken piece first in beaten egg then in cornflour and add to hot oil for deep frying. Similarly fry all the chicken pieces till crisp and golden from outside over medium heat. Drain fried chicken in a plate lined with absorbent paper.
- To stir fry the chicken, heat little oil in wok, throw in chopped ginger, garlic. Stir for few seconds but do not brown the garlic. Add chopped onion and fry for 1 – 2 minute over high heat.
- Add capsicum, vinegar, sauces and salt. Sauté for 2 – 3 minutes over high heat.
- If you are ready to serve the chicken add the crispy fried chicken and stir well so that chicken pieces are coated well with the sauce.
- Garnish with spring onion greens, drizzle honey over chicken and serve hot with Fried Rice.
- If not serving chicken immediately then turn off the heat of the stir fry vegetables and set aside until ready to serve. Heat up vegetables while adding chicken into the sauces just before serving.