We always stick to Homemade Thai red Curry Paste (see recipe here) to make the Thai Red Chicken Curry. The colour, texture and taste of the curry prepared from freshly ground curry paste is much better than the one prepared with the store bought curry paste. Along with the chicken, a medley of seasonal vegetables can also be added in the Red Curry – mushrooms, baby corns, bell peppers, chopped into big chunks and simmered with the chicken in the curry. The heat of the bird’s eye chilli is balanced by the coconut milk and kaffir lime leaves. A drizzle of lemon juice over the curry before serving it, also enhance the taste of it.
Learn how to make Thai Red Chicken Curry in few simple steps:
Thai Red Chicken Curry is a delicious spicy and bold chicken curry cooked in Thai red curry paste. learn how to make Thai red chicken curry from scratch.
- 500 gram boneless chicken pieces
- 1 stalk of lemongrass
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp Red Thai Curry Paste see recipe here
- 1 tsp fish sauce buy it here
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 - 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 Cup coconut milk
- 1 - 2 thai bird eye's chili chopped
- 2 - 3 fresh basil leaves
- Salt to taste
- Start with finely slicing the lemongrass, starting at the thinner end, stopping towards the base when it gets tough (often described as ‘woody’ and white in the centre).
- Clean, wash and pat dry the chicken pieces. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the curry paste ( see recipe here ) and cook for 5 minutes or so. Stirring it occasionally while cooking.
- Add chicken pieces and stir until they are coated with the curry paste.
- Add the lemongrass, fish sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, and two tablespoon of coconut milk.
- Stir to combine and cook for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Then add the remaining coconut milk along with kaffir lime leaves, basil, red chili and stir.
- Bring slowly to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- Stir the curry a few times while it cooks, to stop it sticking and to keep the chicken submerged.
- Adjust the consistency of curry by adding water.
- Taste the curry, adjust the seasoning and consistency accordingly.
- Once ready to serve, sprinkle few chopped basil leaves.
- Serve Thai Red Chicken Curry warm with with Thai jasmine rice.
You can use the readymade Thai Red Curry Paste as well ( buy it here )