Besan Ladoo is one of the delicious, gluten-free Indian sweet. This earthy, rustic sweet is prepared with gram flour and ghee (clarified butter). You will be surprised to know that besan ladoo requires only 4 -ingredients to make at home. Yes, that is it! And no pre-planning or preparation work is required to make this simple sweet. All you need is – gram flour, sugar, cardamom powder and loads of ghee. You can’t skim the quantity of ghee while making besan ke ladoo. There is a copious amount of ghee that goes into the making of besan ladoo and maybe, that is the reason we love it so much!.
Looking for other Indian sweets? Then you must try – Khoya Gulab Jamun, Instant Coconut Ladoo, Paneer Gulab Jamun, and Jalebi
The making process of besan ladoo is very simple and straightforward. All you need to be careful at certain steps. Like, never ever be in a hurry to roast the gram flour. That is the soul of this sweet. A perfectly, slow-roasted gram flour. And you need to be around the stove to stir the roasting gram flour continuously. Because it gets burnt with a blink of an eye. So rather than taking your chances, be around.
The second tricky spot is while adding the ghee. Rather than adding the entire ghee in one shot and later, adding more flour to balance the texture. I prefer adding ghee in small batches. This way I can control the texture of the mixture in a much better way. Too hot or a too cold ghee is a big no for the besan ladoo blend. Heat the ghee in a pan and if it is too hot, wait for few minutes before adding it to the flour.
And at the last, make sure while adding the powdered sugar that the flour and ghee mixture is not too hot. The dough should be warm but not hot to touch. With these tricks under your sleeve, I am sure you can make perfect besan ke ladoo at home. Don’t hesitate if the ladoo do not come out flawless in the first trial, make a note of shortcomings and try to fix them in the next round. That is how I learned to make the perfect besan ladoo.
For more such fun recipes in your life, follow along on Facebook, Instagram, or subscribe to our Youtube Channel.
Besan Ladoo RecipePrint This
- 2 cups gram flour (besan)
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon powdered green cardamom
- In a heavy bottom flat pan dry roast the flour.
- Keep the heat low and keep on stirring the flour while roasting.
- Continuous stirring results in even browning of the flour.
- The flour usually takes 15 minutes to get perfectly roasted and turn light brown.
- A sweet, nutty aroma is released once the flour is nicely roasted.
- In the meanwhile, on other stove melt the ghee in a pan. Set aside to cool down a bit.
- Add this melted ghee in the roasted flour and cook the mixture for 5 more minutes.
- Once the mixture comes together, turn off the heat.
- Allow the mixture to cool down for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar and cardamom powder.
- Mix nicely by rubbing it with your open palm against the base of the bowl. Rub till blended thoroughly.
- Shape into even sized round balls.
- If you are unable to shape the ladoo from the mixture keep it in the fridge for 15 – 20 minutes. And then try to shape the ladoo.
- Store Besan Ladoo in an air tight container for 2 – 3 weeks. I store them in the fridge during the summer season.