Achari Paneer Tawa Pulao is one of the simplest recipes I have tried with the achaar masala (pickle spice mix). If you follow our blog regularly, then you must be knowing that I do pickle spice mix from scratch at home. And it is one of the easiest DIY spice mix recipes. With a bottle of achaar masala sitting on the shelf, it is so easy to think about the recipe such as Achaari Paneer Tawa Pulao. It has the underlying flavor of pickle and the tandoori paneer tikka. Oh my god, this pulao is just so delicious that you can finish the entire casserole in one go with a bowl of chilled pomegranate raita on the side.
If you are familiar with the menu of a typical Indian curry house – then you must have come across the word achaari often used as a prefix for certain chicken/paneer curries. The word ‘achaari’ is used to describe any dish done in pickling spice mix. It can be a chicken curry, paneer curry or simple mixed vegetable. And this pickle spice mix does wonder to the simple curries, making them so tantalizing.
Last week, we were expecting few friends for dinner and we had achaari paneer tikka planned for the snack. After the dinner, we were left with marinated paneer and vegetables in achaar masala. So the best way to use them was to make pulao out of it. Quickly tossed the marinated vegetables and paneer with the rice and a delicious one pot meal was ready in less than 30 minutes. Isn’t that amazing?
The rice absorbed all the flavor of marinated vegetables and turned out so flavorsome. And to complement the bold pickled spices we prepared pomegranate raita for the side dish. Achaari Paneer Pulao and the chilled pomegranate raita was a match made in heaven for the summer season. We packed it for the husband’s lunchbox as well and he too loved it.
So next time you have marinated paneer tikka elements sitting in the fridge, no need to worry about the usage. Simple make Achaari Paneer Pulao out of it. And the best part about this recipe is – you can use leftover boiled rice as well for this recipe. And if you want to keep it healthy, use brown rice instead of the regular white rice. With the addition of brown rice, it will turn into a wholesome combination of protein, fiber, and whole grains.
Achari Paneer Tawa Pulao
Achari Paneer Tawa Pulao is one of the simplest recipes I have tried with the achaar masala (pickle spice mix).
- 2 Cup cooked plain basmati rice
- 1 medium-size onion diced
- 100 gram paneer (cottage cheese) cut into cubes
- 1 medium-size capsicum diced
- 1 medium size red bell pepper diced
- 1 medium-size yellow bell pepper diced
- 1 green chili cut lengthwise
- 1 tsp bengali panch phoran
- 1/4 tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
Ingredients for marination
- 1/2 Cup yogurt (curd)
- 2 tsp achaar masala ( see recipe )
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tbsp dried kasuri methi
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- Combine paneer cubes, bell peppers, and capsicum in a bowl.
- Add the all ingredients mentioned for marination.
- Mix nicely so that vegetables and paneer get nicely coated with the marinade.
- Keep this in a box in the fridge overnight or minimum for 1 hour.
- To prepare the pulao, heat oil in a stir fry pan ( buy it here ).
- Add the panch phoran and bay leaf. Cook for few seconds till the aroma of spices is released.
- Add the onion and green chili. Cook till the onion turn soft and light brown.
- Add the marinated vegetables and fry for 1 - 2 minutes.
- You can the leftover marinade as well and cook the vegetables covered till they turn done.
- Add the paneer and fry for few seconds.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
- Next add the cooked rice, mix nicely and cook covered for a minute or so for the rice to absorb the flavors.
- Serve Achaari Paneer Tawa Pulao warm.
- Recommended Equipments: Stir-Fry Pan ( buy it here )
Fun FOOD and Frolic http://www.funfoodfrolic.com/